|Pecan Thumbprint Cookies With Cream Cheese Frosting (Paleo, Gluten Free, Grain Free) |
Author: Slim Palate
- 1 cup almond flour
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup butter (I used my favorite pasture raised butter because it is delicious)
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 30 drops stevia or 1 Tablespoon honey ( I used Sweetleaf Steviaclear Stevia Drops)
- 2½ oz chopped pecans *for rolling* (about a half a cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 egg white lightly beaten *for rolling*
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 60g cream cheese (1/4 cup)
- 30 drops of stevia or 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon almond milk
- In a small bowl pour Almond flour and a pinch of salt and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add egg, vanilla, and your choice of sweetness(stevia or honey) and whisk until egg is mixed then add softened butter and whisk until butter is thoroughly mixed as much as it can mix into the mixture.
- Once mixed thoroughly add the almond flour and pinch of salt you have on the side to the wet ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Once fully incorporated refrigerate dough for 15-20 minutes to harden.
- Now begin preheating your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- While the mixture is hardening place chopped nuts in small bowl for rolling. And in a separate bowl place lightly beaten egg white.
- Once the dough is done hardening pull it out and roll it in to small balls about ½ inch in diameter.
- Carefully drop each ball and quickly roll around in egg white and then drop in nut mixture and roll around quickly just enough to cover the surface and place on baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Once baking sheet is filled with balls evenly spaced a part with some room in between each of them place them in the oven for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes quickly pull them out and lightly press your thumb in each cookie to create a little impression for filling. (Be sure not to press to hard, just press enough to create a little impression but not enough to squish it all the way down)
- Once all of them have been pressed place them back in the oven for about 10-13 minutes or until just starting to turn golden. (Make sure your pecans don't burn)
- Pull them out and place them on a cooling rack to cool. (25 minutes to an hour but an hour is preferred)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix until thorougly combined.
- Place mixture in a small ziplock baggie and cut an end off for piping.
- If the cookies are fully cooled carefully pipe just enough filling to touch the rim of the top of the impression you made in the cookies.
- Serve and enjoy!
Both the frosting and the cookies can be made ahead of time and either kept separate or together. Once made these can also be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I'm not sure for how long they can stay in the fridge as they haven't lasted that long in the fridge seeing as everyone keeps eating them!
Recipe by Slim Palate at https://slimpalate.com/pecan-thumbprint-cookies-with-cream-cheese-frosting-paleo-gluten-free-grain-free/