|Crepes with Vanilla Bean Roasted Rhubarb |
- Roasted Rhubarb:
- 6 stalks rhubarb sliced into finger length segments
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar *see notes*
- 5 tablespoons cane sugar *see notes*
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- ½ cup of AP flour (you can also sub an even amount of all purpose gluten free flour here if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk or almond milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup butter melted
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium sized bowl add your sliced rhubarb. Add your sugars. Slice your vanilla bean in half and scrape out the beans from the pod. Add the beans to the bowl. You can save the vanilla beans and make homemade vanilla extract out of them, so don't toss them! Toss rhubarb until evenly coated in sugar and the stalks begin to release moisture.
- Place the rhubarb in a small baking dish or baking tray with sides so that they lay in an even layer. Cover with foil and roast for about 8-10 minutes or until soft but not mushy. Keep an eye on them, they will roast quickly.
- In a separate bowl add your flour, sugar, and salt. Give it a whisk to incorporate the ingredients. Add the milk and eggs. Whisk until no dry clumps remain and the mixture is smooth.
- Per crepe, heat a medium sized pan to medium high heat, brush the pan lightly with the butter to coat. Pour roughly a ¼ cup of batter into the pan and quickly tilt it around to coat the surface of the pan. Cook 3 minutes, carefully loosen edges and flip to cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes or until bubbly and the bottom gets some flecks of deep golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Before serving, lay a crepe flat, completely open, and generously brush with melted butter. Fold in half to make a half moon, then fold that half in half to get a triangular type shape. Place it on a plate, sift with powdered sugar, top with roasted rhubarb. You could also use maple syrup here if you wish.
If you would prefer not to use cane sugar or brown sugar, you can use a ⅓ cup of coconut sugar.
Recipe by Slim Palate at https://slimpalate.com/crepes-with-vanilla-bean-roasted-rhubarb/